Safe Zone for Helpers
Time & Location
About The Event
Presented by Charity Muse, MS, LPC of Resonance, a counseling and coaching center in Calhoun, GA.
This highly interactive LGBTQ+ awareness and ally training is specifically tailored for Helping Professionals. This may include therapists, social workers, ministers, church workers, and folks who are involved in nonprofits. We will use discussion, group work, presentation, review of resources, and introspection as we learn and grow together.
In the first part of the training, we will utilize SAFE Zone Curriculum, a widely used nationally based curriculum for LGBTQ+ ally training. In the second half, we will apply the knowledge to the helping professions and explore practical implications, have time for Q&A , and discuss local, regional, and national resources available for LGBTQ+ folks. A workbook and printed resources will be provided.
As a result of this training, you will:
1. Increase knowledge and understanding of LGBTQ+ terminology (Including the appropriate use of those terms).
2. Increase knowledge and understanding of the differences in sexual, romantic, and gender identities.
3. Gain awareness of privileges not held by members of the LGBTQ+ population and learn how intersectionality (race, class, religion, etc) affect the privileges held in our society.
4. Gain insight into your own thought processes, attitudes, and behaviors and how you can use them in your ally-ship.
5. Work through scenarios for working with LGBTQ+ individuals and families.
6. Learn about resources available at the local, regional, and national levels.
After completing this training, you will possess a strong foundational knowledge to better connect with, understand, and serve LGBTQ+ individuals, couples, and families.
9:30am - 9:45am Check-In
10:00am - 12:00pm Safe Zone Ally Training
12:00pm-12:45pm Lunch on Your Own
1:00pm - 2:15pm Implications & Application
2:15pm - 2:30 pm Discussion of Available Resources
2:30pm - 3:00pm Q&A, Processing, and Wrap Up
For more information about the presenter, please read on to the Organizer section of the event page on Eventbrite.
For any questions, please call Charity at 706.403.6148.
You may also email Charity at email@example.com
***Due to the non-clinical nature of this training and its broad topic approach, Continuing Education Credits will not be available. However, a certificate of attendance and completion will be provided to participants.***